Kim Jong-un (born in 1983) is the supreme leader of the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (North Korea) and has dealt out some harsh punishments. Defense Minister Hyong Yong-choi was the latest casualty of North Korea’s internal war against its top brass. According to South Korean intelligence, Hyong was killed in late April after falling asleep during an event and not carrying out instructions.
Looking from the outside, this seems to be rather extreme punishment for simply falling asleep at an event. The report does not tell us what the event was, how long the event might have lasted, or whether this man might have been feeling ill causing him to be sleepy. We would hope the Supreme Leader might have taken some of this into consideration.
Are we as Christian business leaders guilty of even worse? Have we fallen asleep in our responsibility to represent God in the marketplace. We need to admit, the only things that last for eternity are those things that we do with God’s leading.
I realize that not everyone reading this blog has the authority or ability to implement change in your place of business. I think we should make it our daily goal, “to be an influencer toward Godliness”. Having a machine shop with more than sixty men and one women, we have tried several things to show that we care for our workers and demonstrate the love of God. With this list, I hope to share some ideas.
- Bibles for Christmas gifts – A couple years ago, I purchased a Bible for everyone in the company. It was a nice, leather-bound, easy to read, with their name engraved in gold on the outside cover. In the process, I realized that for many of these men, this was the first personalized Bible they have owned.
- Dave Ramsey Financial Freedom Course – Most people do not run short of money because of the what comes in, but because of how it is spent. Eighteen of the twenty employees that signed up completed the 10 week course.
- Marketplace Ministry Inc. – With a desire to help with deeper, personal issues, we chose this organization to add professional some assistance. The cost to our company is based on the size of our company. They provide 3 or 4 professional chaplains to visit randomly to build relationships and help as needed.
- Pray at the start of company meetings – We normally start our company meetings by asking God to bless each person individually along with the combined efforts of the company.
- Show real concern for employees and family – Showing concern is not something that can be easily measured but something that is felt. We try to sincerely listen to suggestions, with respect. Company management attempts to be fare with performance evaluations, pay rates, and job assignments.
- Maintain a clean and wholesome work environment – Harsh and vulgar language is challenged. Disrespect for fellow workers is not allowed. Improper pictures are not on display.
I believe that each of us have some level of freedom and authority to help mold policy at your place of work, I encourage you to determine to make a difference.
Would share some of our experiences on this subject? What can we do together to stay awake as we get closer to the biggest Event in All Eternity, the return of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.
For those that like to travel, consider joining us on a Business Mission Trip when the time if right for you!