In 2006, I purchased a machine shop with $6 million in annual sales, 41 employees, and a 15,000 sq. ft. building. We finished 2014 with $11 million in annual sales, 70 employees, and a total of 46,000 sq. ft. of buildings. I have been blessed to travel more than 10 weeks per year and average only about 15 hours per week at the office. The reason this is possible, comes from continually improving our systems/processes and having “good employees”. But how did we get such good employees? My opinion may surprise you!
When I tell you that God brought these workers to us, you are going to say, “sure” but will He do it for me and others? Yes, because God established the law of “Seedtime and Harvest”. There is no surprise if you plant a corn seed and you reap corn. I look back and can document that, I have planted seeds of “helping Christian leaders with their vision or mission”. If what I am saying is true, I should reap the harvest of people that “help me with my vision and mission”.
To bring this into reality, let me share some of the things I have done for the last 40 years in planting seeds from which I now am reaping a harvest:
- Mid 70’s, as part of a smaller church in Wyoming – I was the church treasurer, taught Sunday School, was in charge of doubling the size of our church building without going in debt.
- Mid 80’s, as part of a smaller church in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma – I regularly mowed grass and weeds on Saturday workday, helped in the physical construction to enlarge our building, and was youth leader for several years.
- Mid 90’s, as part of a Mega church in Tulsa Metro area – We opened our home as a gathering point for Wednesday night church events for youth. We normally hosted 90 teens with a record 146 at our house one week. I taught junior high church class for the Saturday evening church service as the master teacher.
- Mid 90’s, as part of our high school band program – I drove one of my semi-tractor and trailers containing band instruments and props on several trips. This added up to thousands of miles.
- Late 90’s, as part of a teen missions program, Teen Mania – As owner of a moving company, I volunteered and moved 10 families from Tulsa to east Texas. This really cut into my revenue because it was on one of the biggest weekends of our season (July 4th weekend). At one time, I had all 5 of my over-the-road units tied up with this free move.
- Currently – I have been a lead Auditorium Host (formerly called Usher) for our mega-church, now for about 12 years. Traveled to more than 40 countries to teach on business to help those called to business in these countries to take their place in the Body.
I trust that you do not think that I am bragging but I felt like I needed to make a list so you realize that I am not talking about volunteering just a few times. It is my opinion that it is vitally important to give of your time and effort with no expectations of anything in return. And it is my opinion that this life style needs to extend over a period of years.
“Seedtime and harvest” is a law of God that will work for anyone and everyone in all cultures.
Naturally, we use several tools to help evaluate the people who apply to work with us. These tools help us locate the person that fits the open position. We also help the applicant to find their unique skills and abilities even if we do not hire them.
Give us your comments about being a good employee and/or hiring good employees. Do you believe in seed time and harvest?
Consider joining us on a trip to a foreign land to share your business skills. www.BusinessMissionTrips.org